Sunday, March 11, 2007

SEO Hawaiian Style

Aloha boys and girls,
I got up this morning thinking I would write about Hawaiian shirts or something like that, but after checking the Google SERPS I changed my mind. As most of you have figured out by now I am a student of Gypsy SEO and I wanted to take a moment to pay homage to my teacher (he did say get a blog and write about whatever you have on your mind that day). See in the early days when I first met Gypsy on line in a forum, he gave me some advice and off I went on what sounded like an endless road to an unknown destination.

The advice was way too simple, basically all about staying on topic (which has evolved to themes). So about a year has passed since our first conversation and I have been a tireless student the whole time. My better half Peggy will tell you that I really do work 7 days a week and that my days are roughly 16 hrs long. It's all about being a geek, how bad do you want it?

Our primary business is manufacturing Hawaiian shirts and though it’s a niche it is quite competitive and obviously the money terms are a real bitch to rank. But I have stuck with it and Dave, owner of Reliable SEO, has continued to mentor me. I won’t say no one else has given me good advice, but Dave shines because he did not discount my sometimes-crazy ideas. Instead he would say something like “its possible” “lets research it more”, “did you see this about that” etc. Then I would really mess with his analytical mind and send him a picture of a new Hawaiian fabric, I think he cringes when faced with the unknown. Ha ha ha wait till he sees the crazy Hawaiian shirt I am making him.

Well back to this morning, I needed to take some pictures of some new products (like the bird of paradise shirts) but I figured that I would do some quick checks of the datacenters to see how our keywords and phrases were doing. In our business ranking “Hawaiian shirts” is like trying to rank “Hawaiian vacations”, good luck they say. Well long story short, we finally moved into the #2 position on the data centers that I queried this morning. Now I realize that this may not be some great accomplishment in the eyes of the veteran SEO people, but it meant a lot to little ole me, and I guess that’s all that matters, doesn’t it.

My next post will certainly be a bit more Hawaiian, but for now I have to get the pictures done (Peggy just told me I need to quit messing around get them done, today!), Mahalo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rare Gray Aloha Shirts