Thursday, September 17, 2009

Do It Yourself Luau Do’s and Don’ts

Do It Yourself Luau Do’s and Don’ts

Well it finally happened. The other day a middle age couple came into our store to purchase some luau party supplies stating they were going to a family orientated traditional Luau. To our dismay they headed right over to the coconut bras and rainbow hula skirts and started filling their shopping basket with items that are usually worn at a Luau hosted by a wild college fraternity such as Alpha Luau Muumuu.
And as it always happens… I looked over at my wife and received one of those “be nice and go over and help them” looks.

So I moseyed over to the couple and offered them some helpful suggestions on how to dress for a Luau, as well as steered them in the party supply section that they needed to be in. If I could read minds I would say that the gentleman that was with the lady was thanking me a thousand times over.

But my day gets even more bizarre with the very next customer. A very nice lady came in and said that she is taking over decorating for her friend, whom had planned an upcoming Luau. So I asked that fateful question, “why are you taking over?” Her response? She said that the lady passed away and that no one had cancelled the party.

I spied a pink pig centerpiece in her basket and said to myself, here we go again, I am going to have to teach her how to decorate for a Luau and be convincing at that.

So that’s how it is for those retailers that live the life of aloha, but I must admit that was happy that I could offer some Luau salvation to a few brave soles.

Mahalo

1 comment:

  1. So what are your suggestions for decorating a luau? I have never been to Hawaii but would love to have an authentic party.

    ReplyDelete

Rare Gray Aloha Shirts