Friday, March 30, 2012

Charles and the Four Letter Word

I will never forget my first visit to Oahu I was so excited when I was booking the trip one of the things on my wish list was to get a room overlooking the ocean where we could relax and watch those amazing sunsets framed by palm trees. My husband Charles sitting right next to me envisioned a room in the industrial area where we could focus on business, after all, many of the Hawaiian shirts from Wave Shoppe are made in Hawaii (as well as the mainland) and that is where we were going to meet our designers who would help us create our first custom fabric.

I remember finding an awesome room overlooking Waikiki while he was busily, or should I say carefully plotting the hotel that would be most convenient to businesses he needed to visit.

Being the wonderful wife that I am and not wanting him to waste too much time on his idea of a cheap room with no view or ocean breezes as soon as he came up with his dream “work” hotel I swiveled in my desk chair leveled him “the stare” and said “We ARE going to have an ocean view”.

My husband pulled his wallet out from his back pocket and pretended to dust it off thought for a moment and said those magic words “Ok Dear”.


Don’t get me wrong he is not a “Yes” man but he realized that it must be important to me and my husband does everything he can to make sure I am happy. So we got a great room overlooking the ocean and when we opened that balcony door to the first sunset it was stunning. The next day after lunch I sprung on him the dreaded FOUR LETTER WORD I casually mentioned that I wanted to SHOP.

I know I heard him mutter under his breath “you own a freaking Hawaiian store” but he denies it to this day, so we decided to check out the shops closest to the hotel. As we walked down the sidewalk of Waikiki we found a little store called the ABC store.

It was filled with cool stuff lots of touristy stuff and of course every family and friend I knew wanted something. We weren’t paying much attention to the names of the stores but after about the fourth store my husband looked at me in horror and said we were in the same store and there was one on every block and you know he was right.

There is an ABC store on just about every corner but just to make sure I didn’t miss anything I checked them all out. Next on my list was The International Market Place which is an open-air market filled with hundreds of booths it is one of the best places to go if you are looking for souvenirs they had entertainment in the form of a band and a group of hula dancers.

My husband watched a man carve tikis while I looked at each and every booth.

The next day we visited Hilo Hatties and that is one cool store! Then the following day we finished our shopping spree with a trip to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet with one of my girlfriends who had once said “don’t miss that place it has everything” so we went there and was amazed at everything that was offered and there were great prices too.


It was hot that day and humid as it had rained a little in the am, so after our two hour tour we were ready for an early dinner. Charles decided on going down the strip to an all you can eat crab at a hotel buffet and arrived back to the room just in time to enjoy another sunset in paradise and vegetate for a while.


If anyone know's of some other cool places to shop while on Oahu please hit me up, as we will be going back again this summer and I am sure Charles will appreciate your referral.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rare Gray Aloha Shirts